Saturday, May 23, 2015

Coconut Oil Granola Bars

 I've really cracked down on what we're consuming in this house, and it hasn't been easy! Everyday I'm finding different alternatives to our unhealthy habits, and I've really gotten strict on myself. My number one struggle though....chocolate. I can't remember a day when I haven't craved chocolate! In an effort to come up with another substitute for the unhealthy processed junk we eat, I asked SS today if he wanted to make some granola bars. Of course his answer was yes, because he loves helping me cook...and my cooking (; "best cooker ever" as he says, gets awarded to me every night! You wouldn't be able to tell it from the past few posts, but we've been doing pretty well! I actually haven't posted anything in a month looks like, and the last few previous posts are weeks old! So from now on, besides one thing coming up, you will be seeing much healthier recipes and alternatives!


Ingredients:
2/3 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup peanut butter - I used 1/3 cup crunchy and 1/3 cup creamy because I don't have any nuts
2/3 cup honey
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chocolate chips or any other add-in you like
Examples....nuts, raisins, cranberries, apriocots...
I also added in some cinnamon...you could also use vanilla extract, pumpkin spice, just about anything....
This truly is a customized snack, and I love that! You can make something different every time!


The trick to really making this healthy, besides the coconut oil, is if you use organic or natural ingredients. I just used what I had on hand, but I would definitely recommend natural honey, and organic peanut butter if you have it, and can afford it. You can also use gluten free oats, and dark chocolate chips. Use whatever you like!

Mix together your coconut oil, peanut butter, and honey. Melt in the microwave for 30 seconds and let it cool. I also added in some cinnamon. In another bowl mix your oats and chocolate chips. This of course I also added some cinnamon to as well! After your coconut oil mix cools down, thoroughly combine the two mixtures.


Line your baking dish with parchment paper, and press the mixture into place. The larger the dish you use, the thinner your bars will be. I like my bars thick, and I don't have much room in my fridge with all the food prepping I've been doing. So I used a square baking dish. Put the dish in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight until hard, and cut into bars, shapes, cubes, whatever you like.

These turned out perfect and SS squealed with excitement that they were delicious! I think we have a new favorite. I can't wait for Hubby to taste them! Try these out and let me know how you like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment